SAFARI has received notice that we can expect to welcome a family of 5 to Milton from their refugee camp in Ankara, Turkey. There are 2 teenagers, parents and another young man with the same family name. We don’t know how he is related to the family.
We have submitted the government forms to the United Church which is our contact to the Refugee system and will now wait to hear of their arrival date.
In the meantime, there is work to do to prepare for the family. Teams have been formed and leaders have volunteered to share the work. The leaders will recruit members to help with the various tasks.
- Welcoming the family- airport; interpreters
- Housing- assisting the family in searching for rental housing
- Furnishing the home- furniture, linens, kitchen tools etc.
- Consumables- stocking the pantry with basics; cleaning supplies; personal care items
- Services and Utilities- health care, ESL, settlement services, telephone, banking, computer
- Integration- Living in Milton- where to shop; how to ride the bus; finding places in town
- Teen needs- contact with welcome centre for the schools; helping the teens.
This is just an outline. The team leaders and their team will develop a plan for their section. As you can see there is work to be done. We need your help. If you are interested in helping, please speak with a SAFARI rep at your church or Rotary club and we will put you in contact with the team leader.
The work needs to be done quickly as there is a push to accept 25,000 refugees to Canada by the end of February.
Remember the saying “It takes a village to raise a child”? It will take a community to welcome a family coming from a troubled part of the world to our Canada. Please think of volunteering with a team.